Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Mt Lemmon

Tuesday morning Ty and I left the comforts of Sanjay and Anna's home and headed towards the border, south to Tucson. The temps in Phoenix were about 85 degrees when we left and I hate to say it but it was refreshing to sit in the car with the AC on for the drive. We met up with TJ for a climb up MT Lemmon mid afternoon. Ty and I rented road bikes from Cycle Tucson. The bikes were delivered to our hotel, with a bike fit and all. The couple who delivered us the bikes stated they used to own a bike shop but find more tourists are looking for this type of service and convenience.

We started off from the highway parking lot off Tanque Verde and headed west. The start was a false flat for about two miles or so. The desert heat was on my back and my heart rate quickly climbed to race pace. As we climbed further the views in the distant made this all the more sweeter. I rode with TJ and Ty took off for the summit. It was quite interesting how the terrain changed from desert cacti to grassy pastures to towering pines and white granite rock. At mile marker zero we were around 2500 feet and I ascended to 7000 + ft on my own as the boys made off to the summit for a chase. After about an hour riding with TJ he took off to catch up to Ty and I was on my own.
I pulled out the I pod shuffle and continued on taking in every moment and appreciating the fitness I have to enjoy these breath taking views. This was about 5000 ft facing east.

I stopped for a potty break at 7000ft and bite or two of a power bar. My camel back was almost empty and I had one and a half water bottle left. The temps started to drop and it was refreshing relief from the heat.



The winds picked up as I clung to the bike and hugged the ledges as I climbed. Gard rails on my right with shear drop offs made for an exhilarating nervous rush. I continued to pedal on until the guys headed back down.


I met up with the guys at San Pedro Valley for some photo ops. Ty and TJ rode up to Summer Haven where they stopped for a half pound of fudge. I guess they deserved that after climbing for some 2.5 hours or so. The ride back down was a blast again off into the sunset with the blazing orange sun setting in the west peaking over the pines and the chilling windy air whipping my jacket. It was scary in some sections where the grade was steeper and I laid heavily on the brakes through that area as Ty and TJ flew down like birds. The ride down for me was about 27 to 30 MPH and that is about all I can handle before I freak out. A great day of riding!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

sweet. 7 years ago i had an opportunity once in my life to climb a mountain climb and i failed. it was on my mtb and i practically hyperventilated and fell over. i have no problem going fast on an mtb, but a road bike scares the crap out of me too!

Tim D. said...

Stay there as long as possible the weather here sucks.

Sarah Lukas said...

Looking awesome!! It must be a blast for ya thus far. You are going to be tearinf it up this summer that's for sure!

velogrrl said...

I like that Mt Lemmon ride a lot. it's fun, scenic and a great workout. I have often ridden down that mountain on my old cross bike, which has weak cantilever brakes that don't stop so well! so I know what you mean about scary. thanks for posting the pics.

Mike said...

Nice work Rine! Now lets see some Sedona pics, I need to forget about the weather here..

MTB Girl said...

Ooooh, pretty! I love the descents. I could be a little faster. . . . .but seeing 40mph heading downhill on the road bike is a bit scary. Super cool, but a bit scary! Hope you're having a blast. Sorry I missed your attempts to chat, can't wait to hear all about it!

Regina said...

Looks like you're having a great time out there! Love the pictures.