Monday, September 24, 2007

Round two IOLA

Saturday morning we headed up to IOLA to pre-ride the course with Team Pedal Moraine. I was told the first lap was going to be hard and the second lap would be a bit easier since we were taking the Virgin out for a ride. I personally think the Virgin has graduated at the Subaru Cup Pre-ride and can she learn to suffer with the rest of us. We hit the start hills hard and I was lagging behind after the last big climb.
We had the opportunity to stay with Michelle and Chris at their parents home in Point and it sure was a nice treat! No one felt like cooking so we had our pre-race dinner at Grazies' Italian Grill. The food is great and it is made from scratch with fresh ingredients, so yummy!

After dinner we headed to adventure 212 fitness and spa center to take a look around. Chris and Michelle just had their grand opening and they already have over five hundred members. This club is one of the coolest I have seen here in the mid-west. As you can see in the picture, Greg Duckett is making a bucket. This gym has a lot to offer and you can't beat the price. If you live in the area, I would definitely check it out! http://www.adventure212.com/


Race day! You could of not asked for a more perfect day for racing, blue skies and a dry course. Brittany decided to nail it at the start and as you can see, some of the girls were looking at her knowing she was on a mission.

There she goes...



I was not sure what to expect and knew that it will be pure suffering to try to catch her. The start has at least six hills and then you still get no break when you hit the single track. I could not wait to crest the top of that nasty gravel first climb. I think everyone was giving it a 100% and it seemed everyone was steady and fast on the climbs.
Finally a bit of relief on the descents as we headed for the bowl as I got ready to try my hardest to catch the lead.
The pressure was on as I was going into the next climb, I got behind Sonia and pedaled for mercy to keep up and try to keep the leaders in sight. I think we were in the top 5 for a bit through the first lap. I could finally see Brittany and Sarah in the distance and Meg somewhere in there too. I am not good at remembering everything when I am redlining it but I was in good position. Going into the second lap was kinda a blurr and when I hit the steep decent to then use momentum to climb the steep hill I biffed it at the top, I was in the wrong gear and fell over. That took a bit of energy out of me and someone passed, I think it was Lindsey, UGH! I continued to hang on and persevere. The lactic acid was building up in my legs and the fatigue of race #3 in row was a showdown to myself. The burning continued as I slowed my pace a bit and others started to catch me. I don't remember much other than as they passed saying hi. I had no efforts in me to try to catch them and I felt at least happy for them that they were keeping the pressure on the lead. The race was very interesting as positions changed on each lap. I had no idea where I was in position from the leader and I knew that I slipped back allot. I think someone shouted out 3 seconds and I started laughing since I could not see anyone ahead of me anymore. As much as I really wanted a nice overall finish, it was just not my day and I don't take for granted those days when I do feel great. You got to take them when you get um and run with it! I am at least happy that I improved my time from the first Iola race by seven minutes, it's proof I am not that OLD yet :) I really had fun racing this past weekend even though I was exhausted afterwards and it was even better seeing all of you girls out there! I can't wait to Shevagas, see ya there!
Thanks again for all the cheers and motivating shouts! I always appreciate it!


Keeping the focus




Great job Jeff !



Eleven down, one more to go.




This looks relaxing, must be a "new thing" to do.

No comments: