Sunday, September 02, 2007

DIAGNOSIS: BRAIN DEATH

HISTORY OF PRESENT MECHANICAL PROBLEM: I headed out to John Muir Trails yesterday on a beautiful day to get in some good fun riding. I was looking forward to riding out to Emma Carlin and back and getting in a good workout. I did all my final checks before heading off to ride. Water, phone, gel, power bar, camera... check. Tire pressure good, chain lubed and clean...check. I looked at the rear brain shock and it was clean but I noted there was some oil around the rebound nob and I wiped it off with a cloth, I thought this was odd.

I got on the bike and started to pedal and, holy bobbing, it feels to squishy in the back and I must reset it from the last race. I remember on the third lap of the race at Smokin Spoke I got off my bike to readjust the brain because I felt like the bike was way to bumpy. Anyway... I checked the pressure at it was still set at 60 PSI which is what I originally had it at so it was not leaking pressure. I reset the rebound to fast and the shock itself to firm. I got on the bike and it was still squishy. I noted that the O ring when I sat on the bike sagged at least 4 inches and this was not good. I again rechecked the pressure and left it on for a while to see if it was leaking and nothing happened.

I saw Holly from Kill Joy in the parking lot with her team members and went over to say hi and she offered to borrow me a single speed that they have back at her friends house. That was very nice of her but I know they all had more riding to do and I did not want to infringe on their fun. So I decide to head out for a lap with these guys to test out the bike. I drove 45+ minutes to the Kettle's and I might as well take a spin to see if the shock is trashed.

The ride definitely was not smooth and my pedal stroke was using up 80% energy. Hill climbs were WORK with the bobbing and it felt like I was riding in sand on the climbs. (Which I also noted last weekend when I was pre-riding the Smokin Spoke Course and tried three separate times to Dial in the bike.) Standing up and pedaling was like a child's PO-GO-Stick. Man...this is not fun riding and it looks like the brain had died. I wonder if this has any correlation to my race last weekend when all of a sudden I died out there and got so exhausted after the first lap.

Well I am sure it added to the pain I was feeling out there if that is the case. The bike is off to the shop and I have a race in one week. I was just going to sell my other MTB. In fact I got a call on my cell at the same time I found out that something is wrong with my rear shock, thinking it was the bike shop returning my call when I found out my shock is blown and it was someone interested in buying my other MTB, now that is funny. Maybe there is hope that I have not died just yet for the season finale!

8 comments:

MTB Girl said...

Man that sucks. You just GOT that bike!! But it's good to know it wasn't all your body! :-)

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't have infringed on anything. It really would've be really easy to get. Were you able to ride any more laps after we left? I hope it turns out to be a quick fix.

velogrrl said...

Sorry to hear about the death of your brain! Hope it gets fixed in time. Hang on to the other bike until the season is over, just in case!

My race bike is going to be out of commission for a total of four weeks (including lots of time spent at the shop waiting to be looked at) while they ship my brake off for repair, thanks to the last mud race... I hope it's back for Chequamegon. I am so glad I have a back up bike.

Unknown said...

everyone needs at least two bikes for this very reason (but always make sure that even though you have that second bike that when you need to use it, you fix the problem of the first bike so when something goes wrong with the second bike, you don't need to rely on a third).

Christine said...

I guess selling my other MTB is not such a good idea. Thanks for the advice! I sure hope they can repair it before Chequamegon.

Anonymous said...

Buying a Specialized wasn't such a good idea either;)Seriously, they are known for that happening.

Mike said...

I beat the hell out of mine and zero problems. Luck of the draw I guess!

Christine said...

I would like to know how a 124 lb person can blow a shock?????????