Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Last WORS race report of the season

Picture perfect Autumn sky with a warm Indian summer breeze to start the final WORS 2008 race at Sheboygan. Thanks to the FATKATS for nothing short of a spectacular venue for racing and spectating. This is one of those great courses where no matter where you care to watch there is plenty of excitement. You have the start finish shoot, the famous equalizer that draws a few hundred peeps to watch the smoking guy hand out cash to those who make it to the top without falling backwards, the creek crossing into the slick muddy rut as you ascend to the leg burning climbs or the hair raising pucker factor or the fast slick rock with descending stairs as close to the taste of Moab one can get in the Mid West, and last but not least the steep rooty downhill with the 2 foot jump at the bottom. A great mountain bike course with a taste of everything.

photo by Rusty We were off and cresting to the real hole shot just around the corner and all engines were go. I some how slithered into the single track just behind Regina and a few. With in moments of the chase now in the single track, the course got tighter and I made a pass out front. Hearing myself breathing like a silly fool I pedaled feverishly. I can't remember much when anaerobic but I know I crossed paths with Claire on the way up the greasy roots after the bridge asking WTF happened? She was standing on the side. I kept going and soon after I think Lisa Krayer passed and kicked up the dirt as she took off. I was not sure where anyone was, I just kept suffering. The front took off and by now gained time and were no where to be seen. The first lap is always so fun and I just love the feeling of wanting to quit :-) I hit the equalizer only to find me and a cluster of others that wanted to get up the hill, most of them walking, so I un clip 3/4 way up and suffer the run. Pass the Alterra tent, no water girl in sight so I got my own self serve and off I went. Going into lap two I hit a record time and was pleased. Some where on lap two Patti came along and we were back and forth form most of lap two, three and four and it was fun. I am glad I am not the only one who gets ripped off in shity areas of the single track that should be off limits for a pass. Some guy(s) actually tried passing her on the edgy off camber section before stairway to heaven right before the camels hump. That was really, STUPID. By the way...who was the crazy blonde wigged on the SS? Looks like he cut off a dozen or few during her race too :-)


Chasing the Red Baron



and more chasing...
Photos by Amy D Not knowing that Renee was close behind. Some where on the final lap, I swear Renee came out of the woods cross the lap finish area going into the 4th lap passing me like she was doping. I mean, she went past me like I was standing still or she just started racing. Nice finish by the way! Not too far behind her was fellow teammate Regina smoking up a storm and closing the gap on quite a few of us, nice work. I am sure I am next on your list :-)
Going into the back half of the course under the bridge just before descending into the front single track, I see out of the corner of my right eye Andrea smoking on past towards the lap /finish area and I said, HOLY SHIT! Then I think I saw Lori and that was a double shitter, DAM those fast girls, SLOW down please!
I hit the finish line not to far behind the Red Baron, I finished the course with the rubber side down, despite some knuckle heads who wanted to get in my way. I checked the score board just before heading out to chase down to Mikes wedding by 6 o'clock, only to see April some how, some where scathed a spot three minutes ahead of Patti and I to a great second place age group finish. Glad to see her back in the game and no more back issues. I think she needs to stop hanging out with Melcher so much :-)
Great racing by all ! I will miss it and it's sad to see the end of the season is finally here. Thanks Mike and Christopher for running water bottles for me! Thanks to the Goat, Amy D, Julie, Jeff Fringes, and Rusty for all the sweet photos of everyone at the race. Most importantly is all the cheers from friends and spectators which make the event all that more exciting.
Next up, ICEMAN

3 comments:

Unknown said...

great write up Christine. you had a fantastic year racing elite.

Mountaingoat said...

Don't forget cross!

velogrrl said...

congrats on a great season in elite!

I know you'll do well at Iceman, too. Good Luck!