Monday, October 08, 2007

Race Report Shevegas

Photo by Claire

Yes another long winded race report so don't bother if you think your too special to read this. I got a call the other day out of the blue from an old friend who has moved out to Colorado and most recently Idaho. She was here visiting her home town and called to see what the skinny was on this race at Sheboygan. Long story short, she was impressed by the huge cycling community we have here in our own state as well as such a large organized event. Amanda could not stop talking about how much fun she had racing with the sport women and she truly enjoyed herself. I think she even made a few new friends which goes to show what we may take for granted. Another great turn out for the Sheybogan race thanks to the FatKats, The WORS Team, DANO and JON Holcomb! I said this last year, they must do something right to attract this kind of crowd.


Photo by Claire



I made my decision a long time ago that I wanted to move up to elite someday and I finally knew I was ready and made a the decision last Wednesday. Four years of racing Sport was not easy and I remember my very first race and will never forget it. My first year in Sport was what drove me to where I am today, I only want to get better. Here I am four years later never ever expecting to have made this type of commitment to racing, I am hooked.

Knowing I was making the step up to ride with the "pros" I better at least be technically sound before moving up which on a good day I am. I never made the equalizer nor any hill that steep of a grade before in a race nor a normal ride so I practiced it last week until I got it right. I fell not only on that hill but afterwards on the flat open section because my heart rate was so high from climbing I was delirious. It sure felt great to know I can do it and added a boost of confidence that I was ready for anything. My next mission was the pucker factor descent which I thought I would work on during my pre-ride which worked well. I have done many crazy descents in Sedona on rocks so I should be able to get this right, it is all in the head. Thanks to the patients of my husband, Tony and April, for standing there coaching me for thirty plus minutes to watch me bail out 1/4 of the way every time, times, 20. Finally, after over analyzing the dam root to death and seeing April ride down successfully, (did not matter that the guys can do it) I made a commitment and made it successfully, whew! thank god that's off my chest. When you come to think about it, when riding, how many times you don't think about what your doing, you just do it. Thinking too much is too dangerous for this sport. OK, now I really feel like I can race with the big fish.

Race morning was the best (rubbing it in) I slept in and relaxed. The usual morning pre-race breakfast and dry cereal an hour or two later which worked out OK. Hydrated well and got to the course to enjoy some picture taking of the Sport race and seeing everyone start was fun. All of a sudden it was time to get ready to warm up and that is when it hit me. I got dressed, did my checks and asked my husband how he warms up. Remember to not bother husband before race. I ended up doing my usual and headed to the start, my gosh, I think I was the last one to line up. I looked around a saw familiar faces, Murphy Kate, Sarah, Claire, Amelia and Lori which soothed the nerves a bit. The funny thing is, there were a lot of girls I did not know and it seemed like Super Fast Racer was written on their backs as I looked through the crowd, what did I get myself into. Don called off the Elite men and no sooner than 5 seconds, I swear he called us off.

The start to me is the same, red line it to the hole shot, although I thought I would take a more relaxed approach from my usual. I have no idea why I think of this at the last minute. Abandonment, I recall from past experience at Chip race. Anyway, it was nice to see bottlenecks occur at the elite level too and I caught the back end without having to blow up. I never do this, but for some reason it worked for me. I think I was afraid of blowing up and making a fool out of myself but that was not going to happen because I have no race Mojo left in me. I was chasing the tail end, maybe a few caught me and passed, but I was at the end. I wanted to be super competitive and hold down the pace I know I can and put it out there but that seems to be diminishing at the end of a long season. I don't remember but somewhere in the pines I started to loose everyone. The last voice I heard was that of Amelia to tell me to get my rear in gear. As I headed near the switch backs I heard Don call out the first Comp start and I started to get a bit nervous. I was hoping to be at the back end or somewhere near the other side of the course, maybe not in this lifetime. I seems that's all I kept thinking about is where will I be when they come and I hope I don't get derailed.

Here they come... kinda strung out, one by one or two. I asked, where is the rest? Stupid question. I kept riding a bit faster to get the hell out of the dam tight single track but that is 75% of this race. Well I think I over compensated for the entire field and pulled way over to the side off the track for them to pass. I felt like I did in my first WORS CUP race in 2004 when it was muddy and I was scarred to death in that rock garden and the elites were lapping me, boy have I grown since then. I was not scarred of them but I did not have the race pace to to ride and let them slide by so instead as longer strings of guys were coming, I got off the bike and stood off to the side to let them by. This is a huge group of super fast guys! I would never have to do this in a Sport race. Certainly no Racer asked me to do so or even made me feel threatened, they called out ahead of time, every single guy or girl who passed and they did it with finesse. No games, no egos, no surprises or new "jungle rules". I guess it is a learning experience and that Sheboygan course is a tough one to have people pass you and stay up-right. I did see one girl I think take a huge yard sale into the woods but that was the only crash I saw the entire race.

After all that practice on the hard stuff, I got to the bowl and took the wrong line for me and almost went off that dam log. I used to be able to do it until I had the worst fall of my life two years ago and it took me over a year to get my confidence back so I opt to go around it from now on. So here I am in my first Elite race and go down the hill and hit the brakes before I went over. Stupid move, thank goodness no one was right on top of me and they went around. All the paparazzi was there, how embarrassing. Finally, off to the back half, my favorite! As soon as we had that final descent to the parking lot it was showtime, I was able to ride fast and not think for a bit a long the river.

Up the gravel hill slower than normal as I was reminded by my friend, down the pucker factor all four times successfully, up the equalizer 98% three times and I thought I got $5 but lost it, 75% of the hill on the 4th lap was awesome and no tired legs. Oh, I forgot, I was lapped by the two elite women going into my final 4th lap and numbing back pain for at least three laps. That's enough for me to call it a good race. I was not fast and some might even laugh that I made the move up. I gave it a shot, enjoyed what I experienced and I will be back and ready for those comp guys and I hope not to be too easy for them next time :)

So for all of you Sport women who have thought about it this is proof that if this old woman can do it so can you!

Thanks to Kevin, Colleen, Chimene, Karen and the smoking guy for the nice cold water baths and hand ups and everyone who cheered me on, it makes racing all that more fun!

7 comments:

MTB Girl said...

Awesome job. I'll be there with you next year. I promise. :-)

amelia said...

great job in your first elite race!

Sarah Lukas said...

it was awesome the you were out there. That was probably one of the faster elite races considere there were about 4 pros. But nonetheless, you rocked it out there.

As for lapping riders, I used to pull over when I first started, but then I realized that these experienced riders can pass pretty dang good!

I'm glad you made the move, you never know until you try!

Unknown said...

racing elite this past sunday will make it that much easier for next year! sweet on the upgrade.

old 'n slow said...

Christine - I have the video of the log jump escapade (not that you'll probably want to relive it). I was wondering what was going on - now we know. Congrats!

John

Christine said...

Someone should put together a funny presentation of candid pictures/videos of this years racing bloopers for the awards banquet. I am sure there are thousands of pictures out there and everyone would have a blast watching.

Coffee King (CK) said...

Girl and I are sitting here waiting for a blog update. See, if you raced Beechwood you'd have something to right about. Slacker... Well, you did miss some serious pain/fun.