Monday, December 03, 2007

The 7 Deadly Sins






The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things
Hieronymus Bosch, 1485
Oil on wood
120 × 150 cm
Museo del Prado, Madrid
The Seven Deadly Sins and the Four Last Things is a painting by Hieronymus Bosch, completed in 1485. The painting is oil on wood panels, in the form of a tabletop.
The painting is presented in a series of circular images. Four small circles, detailing "Death", "Judgement", "Hell", and "Glory", surround a larger circle in which the seven deadly sins are depicted: wrath at the bottom, then proceeding clockwise, envy, avarice, gluttony, sloth, extravagance, and pride. At the centre of the large circle, which is said to represent the eye of God, is a "pupil" in which Christ can be seen emerging from his tomb. Below this image is the Latin inscription Cave Cave Deus Videt ("Beware, Beware, God is Watching"), implying that no sin goes unnoticed.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Deadly_Sins_and_the_Four_Last_Things"





This week I am working on Greed since this is what I learned in my eighteen years of Catholic education. I think I learned it is quite appropriate now to label "Christmas" now as pure greed.



"Greed is the selfish desire for or pursuit of money, wealth, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies the same goods to others. "



Here is one more item added to our pile of possessions. I think I hit more then a few deadly sins with this baby.


MERRY CHRISTMAS CAPTAIN

4 comments:

MTB Girl said...

Sweet. What are you getting ME? :-)

Mike said...

JESUS H CHRIST have you gone crazy woman??!!? Oops was that a sin? Nice hardware there! Did Captain Candy get the hand-me-down SRM?

Christine said...

Nope, that is all his. Knowing how he has a tendency to break things I figured he would need something top end. The best thing about it is now I can watch him suffer even more:)

Christine said...

oh I forgot to say we got a steal of a deal on it from one of those pricey bike magazines. Ty googled SRM and it took him to the magazines web site and it was listed for a ridiculous price. After consulting with GOD to forgive his sins, he jumped on it. Needless to say, the next day they pulled it from the site. They also through in a bunch of free stuff too which made it even a sweeter deal. I think the name of the Magazine was Excel Sports.