Sunday, July 08, 2007

Weekend

We had a Birthday celebration this weekend for about nine of us who have July Birthdays on Captains side of the family. Ty's cousin made this cake and it was delicious. Many of his cousins are in town from out east and out west so it makes for a nice gathering with everyone around. Unfortunately they forgot to add my name to the cake, but that's OK, I'll skip a year anyway it won't hurt.
This little rascal is getting bigger by the moment. He is starting to walk and pretty soon he will be unleashed into the world for exploring.

He's getting pretty good at popping off bottle caps at parties.


I got in some good rides this past week. Thursday night I joined the guys for the Alterra ride down by the lakefront and brought my IPOD for when I get dropped. I thankfully was able to hang on for at least 35 minutes, they were too kind. Luckily Metro Marty decided to ride with me for the evening so I did not feel so left out. I think we kept up a good pace, even though I drafted, ALLOT! Of course we had to have a pit stop, so Marty can keep up his Clyde's calorie count. Saturday I got up early and headed back to the lake for a ride by myself. I thought it would be a good idea to beat the heat. Many peeps were out early and I think I went past a huge group of PCW's folks on my way out. There was some good gusty winds at times and made for my ride a bit challenging. Never the less... I did have fun. Sunday we headed out to Kettle Moraine, Captain, Christopher, Roger and I to enjoy hours of riding in this UN godly heat. For two days I was telling Captain that we should head out earlier than 11:00AM, but that was rejected. We made it to Emma Carlin and back about 5 lbs lighter. I never sweat so much in my life. I was dripping wet from head to toe, including by belly, it was weird. Those climbs in the back off Emma were enough burn in the legs to top off another 5 lbs of sweat. It was fun, especially when I hit that little rock garden in the back off Emma and I did not even hesitate to fly over it, that after only seeing what was ahead of me a split second. That made my day! The skills are getting better and I am feeling more comfy on the bike which make riding a 100% better. I wash my bike so much that now when it does get dirty all I have to do is rinse and it comes clean.



After all that riding, dinner is the best. Captain made vegetarian tacos with whole wheat tortilla's from whole foods, delicious. I think he had cherry tomatoes sprinkled with oregano mixed in with Boston lettuce, black beans, cilantro and Monetary Jack cheese and of course stone ground chips.




I on the other hand decided to try Bon Appetite's recipe for clams and linguine. I smoked the little necks on the grill which was different from steaming them. I have to say I did not like this recipe as compared to Tyler Florence's recipe which of course includes yummy butter and this one called for olive oil only. I think the broth, which really makes the dish was a bit too bitter. Most likely my fault for trying to cut the recipe in half and adding too much vino and lemon.





No comments: