Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Third annual Firecracker race

Slackers

Bizarre things can happen with a

Full Moon on Race Weekend Lookout!

More Camping Shots

Can you believe this was the third year for the Firecracker Race in Chippewa Falls? It seems like yesterday when I had my first experience on that course and it terrified me. I remember father Gonzalez telling me back then in 2005 that the Firecracker course is somewhat like the Minnesota races with tough single track. He made it seem that if you can race Firecracker you were the shit. So back then finishing that race without killing yourself was a goal of mine. How times have changed. All those trips out west for Spring Training are starting to pay off and it is pure pleasure to enjoy every challenging minute of single track riding. Now my goal is focused on a consistent start so I still have a LOT of WORK ahead of me.

After my poor start, I found myself all over the place on the lead out struggling to catch a wheel. Once we hit the single track it was standstill once again and I was told to wait my turn, UGH! Frustrated as all hell, I persevered to catch the front the entire race. Finally towards the middle of the last lap I could see some peeps I know and tried desperately to catch them. That was the best part of my race, being around these gals that I can trust, especially in the single track not to take you down or limit your success. I was able to sneak in an attack on the flats and hammer it into the last part of the single track before the finish, but unfortunately my front tire slid on a little power climb of dusty, powdery dirt and I biffed it. The other peeps were courteous and asked if I was alright. I said, I'm OK , now take that finish and they were off. Once vertical again, I tried to muster up the effort to chase but they were gone! Great finish to MTB Girl and Colleen!





Super Fly Pic of the Day











No comments: