Sunday, February 11, 2007

Show and Tell





This is the equipment that is used by the anesthesiologist to put you to sleep. This is used for long cases in the Electrophysiology lab and Cath lab, usually these procedures are more invasive and they need the patient to be completely sedated.

This is the control room where the doctors and nurses and special technologists manage the operations of the procedure's and view live computer images of the heart catheteriztion while being performed.



The actual table the patient lies on during the procedure.




patient exam room in the clinic





my lovely office


Jennifer, my wonderful co-worker and partner in crime, whom I share an office with.



For those of you who don't know what I do to support my Rock & Roll Life Style, I thought it would be fun to share some pictures. This past Friday it was a bit quiet so I was able to take some pics without getting in trouble with the new HIPPA laws, which are laws that protect patients privacy. I think it is always interesting to explore what people do and I think it is a great idea to get kids involved so that they can have a better idea of what they might like to do in the future. I am a preceptor for students who are going to school to become Nurse Practitioner's, and I find it very rewarding to mentor them and it's fun. So what do I do? I work in collaboration with the cardiologists in seeing ill patients with heart disease. My days are split working between the Cardiac Catheterization lab, (where patients go to get their coronary arteries fixed), the hospital and clinic. I see patients independently for such diseases as heart failure, chest pain, atrial fibrillation... I am able to write prescriptions, order tests and bill independently for services. I would of loved to show pictures of us in action, but that is not possible, thanks to privacy laws.
Your cardiovascular system plays a very important role to all your vital organs. Many people unfortunately are stricken with disease and it is inevitable. For many of us, living a healthy lifestyle is one way to prevent some forms of cardiovascular disease and/or the progression of some disease processes. Exercise at least 30 to 60 minutes most days of the week are now recommendations of the American Heart Institute. I think the latest reports state that over 60% of Americans are obese and it is only getting worse. Diet plays a significant role in your health and learning how to eat healthier is just as important. Obesity leads to all kinds of complications such as diabetes which is one of the main culprits of cardiovascular disease. So I have to say when it comes to patients trying to make excuses for exercise or eating fast food, I don't buy it. There are special circumstances where persons are limited due to financial hardships and getting there basic necessities of life taken care of is a chore in itself day to day. We try to work with those to at least teach them the basics, such as reading a food label and at least try to educate them. But for the rest of you, there is no excuse! Health care costs enough and every ounce of prevention can save our country billions of dollars if we would just get off our A**!
So congratulations to all of you WORS enthusiasts, my hats off to you all! Keep up the good work!

1 comment:

Dano said...

Cool stuff!

I hope I never see it for real!